Department of Public Works
As a service-oriented organization, the Department of Public Works consists of:
- five full-time employees who provide full-time coverage with 24-hour on-call service to handle the emergency needs of the Town,
- three part-time employees at the Transfer Station,
- one part-time Buildings & Grounds employee,
- as well as occasional seasonal help.
Hancock has approximately 50 miles of Class V roads. This road network is maintained with a combination of Town-owned equipment and outside contractors:
- 25 miles of paved roads
- 25 miles of gravel roads
- 12 municipally-owned bridges.
The Department of Public Works also:
- operates the public water system under the direction of the Water Commissioners
- oversees the operations of the transfer station
- maintains the cemeteries
- maintains the Town's buildings and grounds
This website is designed to inform our customers of who we are, what we do and how we can be of service to you.
We always welcome comments from our customers, the citizens of Hancock. We strive to offer an excellent service at a reasonable cost. Sometimes the hardest part is knowing what service our citizens want from the Department of Public Works.
We are constantly evaluating our programs and listening to your input. Any time you have questions, or a problem, please don't hesitate to contact us.
- Dump / Transfer Station & Recycling Center
- Got Clean Drinking Water? It's Up to You!
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Meet the People
- Mud Season
- Posted Roads
- Storm Reports
- VSS Posting Request
- Virtual Swap Shop