HANCOCK SELECTBOARD MINUTES

OCTOBER 4, 2010

 

PRESENT: John Jordan-Chair, Roberta LaPlante, Carolyn Boland – Selectboard
             Barbara Caverly-Town Administrator/Recording Secretary

OTHERS: Kurt Grassett-DPW Director; Jack Morehouse- , Jon GrosJean-
           Emergency Management Director

Jordan called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. He then called for a motion on last week’s Minutes. LaPlante had two corrections to be made: 1) She referenced the July 2009 Hancock Happenings, not the November issue; 2) the comment referencing the increase in speed from the speed table to Depot Road was made by Chief Wood, not LaPlante. Boland then moved to accept the Minutes of September 27th as modified; seconded by LaPlante, unanimously approved.

GENERATOR GRANT: Grassett introduced Jack Morehouse who came from the NH Office of Emergency Management with the paperwork to be signed for the Emergency Management Performance Grant the town is seeking for generators. The grant is 50/50 for a total of $38,000. FEMA will pay $19,000 and the town will pay $19,000. The plan is to purchase a second generator to be placed at the Town Office to power the Police Station, one at the Fire Station for the emergency control center and one at the DPW garage for emergency response and emergency fueling. Jack explained the process and asked to have the grant papers signed. They were signed by the whole Selectboard, notarized and returned to Jack. He will see that they get to the Governor and Council prior to their November meeting. Once it has been approved, the generators may be ordered. It will be a “turnkey” operation.

Grassett noted the town’s share will be coming from excess FEMA funds that were voted to be encumbered for this purpose at the December 28, 2009 Selectboard meeting.

Once the generators have been installed, Morehouse will follow through with any approvals and paperwork. GrosJean went with Morehouse to make the necessary copies, leaving one for the Town Office.

Jordan noted the need to improve generator power at the Town Office because the server and computers don’t work well on the current one. He hopes the new one will solve this problem.

LaPlante noted that Amy Markus would like to have a generator at the Library at some point. It was pointed out that if she has one, she will need to be open as a shelter during storms.

DPW REPORT:
MONADNOCK DISPOSAL: Grassett reported the Monadnock Disposal agreement terminates December 31, 2010. He spoke with Matt who told him there will be no

SELECTBOARD MINUTES
OCTOBER 4, 2010
PAGE TWO

increase in price for the next three years for either the solid waste or the compactor. The Selectboard unanimously agreed to have Grassett proceed with the three-year proposal.

CHAIN SAWS: Grassett has asked to replace two old chain saws that have quit working with two stiels that are the same as the rest of the chain saws at the Highway barn. He would like to the $664 from the Highway Equipment Fund. The Selectboard approved this purchase.

POST OFFICE: Grassett received a call from the Postmaster reporting a water leak on the roof of the Post Office. Nevan Cassidy went up, at the request of Grassett, to check it out and found some cracking of the shingles. The building needs to be scraped and painted and now the roof needs to be repaired. Grassett suggested putting in a warrant article to cover the whole project. He inquired into how the Historic District Commission handles roof repairs. Although towns are exempt from their own ordinances, Grassett will ask to meet with the Commissioners once it has been determined exactly what needs to be done.

#2 FUEL TANK: Grassett has received an estimate of $1,580 to address the required fuel tank corrections. He had carried $2,300 from 2009 on the propane line. He would like to use $1,580 of those funds to correct the tank issues this year. The Selectboard approved this action.

BUILDING MAINTENANCE: Grassett inquired how the Board wishes to treat the Building and Grounds position for the budget. He agreed to present the full time option as well as the way it currently is.

POLICE REPORT: Chief Wood reported a movie company will be doing movie shots using a house on Gurney-Brown Lane this coming Thursday and Friday, October 7th and 8th. The 7th it will be from 7 p.m.-10 p.m. and the 8th from 9 p.m. to midnight. They have asked to utilize the west side of Landing Road those two days. The company will be contacting all the neighbors to alert them to what will be taking place. The Selectboard suggested they alert all the people in the area. The Board has no problem with the company parking in the restricted area for those two days.

HOLIDAY PAY: Wood brought to the attention of the Board that his officers are now working four ten-hour days. It is felt the current Holidays portion of the Personnel Manual (#305) be amended to state holidays are based on an eight hour day. The balance of the work schedule will be adjusted until flexible schedules are in place.

Grassett brought up the suggestion that the Paid Time Off, Sick Time and Holidays be combined into one category – Earned Time. The Selectboard stated they would like to investigate whether a town can combine those categories in that manner.


SELECTBOARD MINUTES
OCTOBER 4, 2010
PAGE THREE

LIAISONS: Historic District: LaPlante reported the Historic District Commission is in the process of taking new photographs of all the residences in the Historic District in an effort to update their files. They will also be drafting new letters to be sent to current residents and handed out to new residents that move in, along with a copy of Article 8 of the Zoning Ordinance and an application form. Article 8 addresses the Historic District portion of the Zoning Ordinance.

LaPlante would like to have the Selectboard come to a decision with the fence on the Hatab property. She will bring in a draft for their review.

SAU: Jordan reported on a call he received from a Conval School Board member regarding E-rate, a reimbursement for technology improvements. It was noted Conval has taken in over $280,000 between 1998 and 2010. This does not show as being accounted for in the SAU. The Department of Revenue Administration has said the funds should be reported as revenue as well as showing where it has been expended.

It was further noted the SAU Steering Committee takes no Minutes when they meet and they do not post their meetings.

MRI: The Selectboard received a letter from Municipal Resources, Inc. introducing themselves as having been contracted by NHLGC-PLT to work with the various communities to look at their finance management systems. The Selectboard noted Hancock is still working on restructuring our financial area; therefore, any decision of this nature would not be made until after the next audit has been completed.

ADJOURNMENT: Boland moved to adjourn at 5:10 p.m., seconded by LaPlante, unanimously approved.
Respectfully submitted,



Barbara E. Caverly
Recording Secretary

 

Hancock Home PageTown DocumentsSelect Board Minutes